• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home-style cooking with OnkelC and Friends, Vol.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
valparaiso said:
think you could cook something using only the microwave oven? if you have a microwave oven, that is.

congrats on the threads, btw. I think I've read every single post in them :/

Hi valparaiso, and welcome to the thread. Sorry to say that, but I don't own a microwave oven. Maybe someone else will help out on this.

What are your food/ingredient preferences to start with?

ChryZ

valparaiso said:
think you could cook something using only the microwave oven? if you have a microwave ovn, that is.
I got one, but I never used it to cook a whole meal with it. You can cook potatos, melt butter, defrost stuff, cook veggies, crisp-up nachos, warm-up tortillas, etc ... but cooking meat, poultry or fish is troublesome and results are mostly meh. My suggestion would be to buy a small rice cooker, there are 4-8 cup models for like ($|€)30. A single (electric|gass|induction) burner is not that pricy and you can pan-fry, boil pasta. Those should help to boost your cooking options.

Wraith

OnkelC said:
Lots of frying tips.

Well, that explains why my spatulas are melting, my teflon pans are getting ruined in short order, and I'm charring the hell out of my food. I always thought you had to fry things at top heat which, aside from ensuring that I get burned to a crisp by spattering oil, also apparently ruins my stuff. In the future, I will fry at medium heat instead.

Also, the wok I bought the other night happened to come with a nylon spatula, so that should do the trick.

Thanks so much for shedding some light on what I was doing wrong.

The_More_You_Know-775718.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Wraith said:
Well, that explains why my spatulas are melting, my teflon pans are getting ruined in short order, and I'm charring the hell out of my food. I always thought you had to fry things at top heat which, aside from ensuring that I get burned to a crisp by spattering oil, also apparently ruins my stuff. In the future, I will fry at medium heat instead.

Also, the wok I bought the other night happened to come with a nylon spatula, so that should do the trick.

Thanks so much for shedding some light on what I was doing wrong.

The_More_You_Know-775718.jpg
:lol

you're welcome.

If you are in the market for a new teflon pan, check out Tefal brand ones, they sport a red spot in the center that tells you when the pan has got the optimal frying temperature. I think ChryZ uses them, too.

Hooker

My sis and mom are legendary Saté makers, I'll see what I can accomplish for this Sunday.

Tonight, is experiment night. Taking cues from Rei Toei's Spicy Chicking in Tomato sauce, with a hint of alcohol influenced me ^^. I'll make pictures should it come out okay :D

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Here's a question for the experts:

What part of leek does one actually use?

That vegetable is a mystery to me.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Ok, GAF, I cooked something!

Keep in mind that I'm a beginner and wasn't quite sure what I was doing. Also, I have the world's smallest kitchen.

And this nice collection is roughly what's needed. I live by myself, so this is actually for 1 person :)

step1.jpg

~150ml of dry white wine
Oil
Walnuts
Light soy sauce
Sweet-chili sauce
Chili powder
Stark
Chicken broth/bouillon
Leek
Chicken brest
Lemon
Onions
Garlic
Ginger
Honey
Pineapple
Rice

I didn't really measure most of it.

So let's start with the sauce. First cut the pineapple into really small pieces. If they remain too large they become overly dominant, so don't hesitate. Put it in a pot, add the wine, a table spoon of honey, 2 table spoons of the sweet chili sauce, a liiiiiitle bit of the chili powder and the juice of half a lemon.
step2.jpg

Turn up the head and let it boil with the lid closed for ~15 minutes. It smells heavenly.
step3.jpg

Meanwhile, wash and damp the chicken breast and proceed to slice it into stripes as shown.
step4.jpg

Put it in a bowl, add 2 table spoons of the soy sauce. Add salt and pepper and mix it all.
step5.jpg

Cut up onions and garlic.
step6.jpg

Get the rice going.
step13.jpg

Cut up the leek and wlanuts as well. I do it all in advance since once there is a pot on the stove, I'm out of room >_>
step7.jpg

Heat some oil in the pan (I use peanut oil) on medium heat and broil the onions and garlic until glassy. Don't let it get too hot!
step8.jpg

Add the prepared chicken, make sure it fries properly from all sides. Stir well.
step9.jpg

Add the leek.
step10.jpg

Add a little bit of chicken bouillon that you got boiling in a different pot. Bind it with a little bit of stark/water mix. Then also add the cut up walnuts.
step11.jpg

Make sure the sauce has the right consistency (add a little bit of stark if needed) and put it in a separated bowl. Put everything on a plate et voilà.
step12.jpg

It actually turned out rather tasty. I was enormously proud :lol

Yes, I did actually forget about the ginger.

Hooker

elostyle said:
Here's a question for the experts:

What part of leek does one actually use?

That vegetable is a mystery to me.
Every part. Slice it in rings. Only throw the buttom part and top part away. Don't always look as nice.

Wash it well!! It's always full with sand. Just full up your sink with plain tap-water. chuck everything in and thoroughly clean it. Take it out of the water, let it dry for a bit and use it in whatever.

Tastes great in Beef Shanghai or in any mixed fried rice

ChryZ

OnkelC said:
If you are in the market for a new teflon pan, check out Tefal brand ones, they sport a red spot in the center that tells you when the pan has got the optimal frying temperature. I think ChryZ uses them, too.
HA! That's what the red spot is for. I threw away that paper-wrapper-manual thingy without reading it, so it was bit of a mystery to me. I've managed to pull that stunt three times already :lol

Anyway, the teflon coating of those tefal pans is quite sturdy. I've bought a slightly cheaper one once and the pans from tefal lasted a lot longer so far. It's recommendable to use a non-metal spatula for teflon. No matter how careful you are, the pan will quickly be FUBAR once you've slighty damaged the coating.

Wraith

ChryZ said:
Anyway, the teflon coating of those tefal pans is quite sturdy. I've bought a slightly cheaper one once and the pans from tefal lasted a lot longer so far. It's recommendable to use a non-metal spatula for teflon. No matter how careful you are, the pan will quickly be FUBAR once you've slighty damaged the coating.

I know what FUBAR is, but what do you mean by FUBAR? Does it really matter if the non-stick coating has peeled off of part of the pan, aside from the perspective of cleaning? For the casual/beginning chef(me), does it matter?

I ask because I've ruined a few of my pots already thanks to the heat thing, and I'm wondering if I should just buy a new set. It looks like I can get the 9-piece T-Fal set for ~$50 shipped, so I wont mind buying new ones if necessary. I just don't want to waste the money if I don't have to.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
ChryZ said:
I've found like a million different recipes for albóndigas. The posted version is more Mexican style than Spanish. I've did the dish a couple of times and the folks around here love it. Let me know how you liked it. Oh and I would love to hear more about your Spanish version!
Oh well, the local versions are more about mixing different kinds of meat and sauce/gravy, they are easier to make but not as interesting to cook. I'll try to do something if I have some spare time this weekend, I really struggle to make my own food as much I like to mess in the kitchen :(

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
elostyle said:
chicken sweet-sour
Du hast Dich spätestens jetzt als "Kraut" geoutet, die Zutaten haben Dich verraten.
:D
WORTHY CONTRIBUTION, elostyle, thank you for that! I would have passed on the ginger, too, as it would have interfered with the taste of the other sauce ingredients.
Showw more of your stuff in the future, please.

Wraith said:
I know what FUBAR is, but what do you mean by FUBAR? Does it really matter if the non-stick coating has peeled off of part of the pan, aside from the perspective of cleaning? For the casual/beginning chef(me), does it matter?
Teflon is completely non-toxic, so there should be no worry about intoxications from teflon chips in your food, but the surface below the teflon is not suited for cooking on it at all. I would discard a chipped teflon pan.

I ask because I've ruined a few of my pots already thanks to the heat thing, and I'm wondering if I should just buy a new set. It looks like I can get the 9-piece T-Fal set for ~$50 shipped, so I wont mind buying new ones if necessary. I just don't want to waste the money if I don't have to.
A decent set of pots and pans enhances the cooking experience for a good bit, so I would go for it. Mind that 50 bucks for a set of pots and pans is not much money, you will get what you paid for. I would advise in spending 50 bucks in the pan alone, as you will most likely get an utensil that can take a beating, then.

Edit: that sounded a bit arrogant, but decent cookware does not come cheap. Of course will a starter set suffice for the first cooking experiences.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.

I prepared pancakes before, a detailed preparation can be found here.

As a little variation, I prepared a hearty one with cheese and ketchup tonight, and the apple variant for the wife, of course.

Sweet Variant:

smallCIMG3144.jpg

smallCIMG3145.jpg

smallCIMG3146.jpg

smallCIMG3147.jpg

smallCIMG3148.jpg

smallCIMG3150.jpg

Hearty Variant:

smallCIMG3152.jpg

smallCIMG3153.jpg

smallCIMG3154.jpg

smallCIMG3155.jpg

:D
smallCIMG3156.jpg

smallCIMG3157.jpg

smallCIMG3158.jpg

Enjoy! and keep on commenting.

Wraith

OnkelC said:
A decent set of pots and pans enhances the cooking experience for a good bit, so I would go for it. Mind that 50 bucks for a set of pots and pans is not much money, you will get what you paid for. I would advise in spending 50 bucks in the pan alone, as you will most likely get an utensil that can take a beating, then.

Edit: that sounded a bit arrogant, but decent cookware does not come cheap. Of course will a starter set suffice for the first cooking experiences.

Yeah, I definitely can't scrape together enough to go for $50/pan. As much as I love cooking, I'm still trying to save for an HDTV and a console or three over the next year, so I'm trying to watch what I spend.

Still, Amazon has the T-Fal initiatives set for $50 shipped and the perfection set(which adds enamel coating on the outside, which I guess is good) is $100 shipped. Since I feel like I still have a lot to learn, I might buy the initiatives set and then replace individual pieces as I ruin/decide I need better.

Whatever I do, thanks to both you and Chryz for the help!

It'd be interesting to see what equipment other people are using - pans, knives, etc.... Maybe I'll take a few pictures of my favorites when I have a chance and post 'em.

ChryZ

Wraith said:

OnkelC explained it very well. I would like to add that the main selling point of teflon coating is the non-sticking. Once you've damaged the coating, the non-sticking feature is gone and food will burn easily, then you have to use more oil/fat, which will further increase the likelihood of burning stuff since it's transmitting heat so well. Also cleaning of such a pan sucks big time, that alone would drive me nuts.

Wraith said:
Yeah, I definitely can't scrape together enough to go for $50/pan. As much as I love cooking, I'm still trying to save for an HDTV and a console or three over the next year, so I'm trying to watch what I spend.

Still, Amazon has the T-Fal initiatives set for $50 shipped and the perfection set(which adds enamel coating on the outside, which I guess is good) is $100 shipped. Since I feel like I still have a lot to learn, I might buy the initiatives set and then replace individual pieces as I ruin/decide I need better.
Cooking your own food might actually help to save money. Try to go easy on the heat. High heat is usually good for quick stir frying or if you want to brown, sear or seal stuff ... it's always an option to lower the heat when the initial high heat cooking is done.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Cornballer said:
It'd be interesting to see what equipment other people are using - pans, knives, etc.... Maybe I'll take a few pictures of my favorites when I have a chance and post 'em.
Ikea & Tschibo/TCM college student base survival kit :lol
Showw more of your stuff in the future, please.
I will once I come across some recipes that work out well the second time around.

Is T-Fal the same as Tefal? I think I saw some T-Fal branded cooking gear over in Japan but never around here.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thank you all for the feedback, I appreciate it.:)

elostyle said:
Is T-Fal the same as Tefal? I think I saw some T-Fal branded cooking gear over in Japan but never around here.
Tefal calls their stuff T-fal in some countries. Don't know why, though. It reminds me of K-Fed, which is not necessarily a good thing :lol .

Tonight is MYSTERY DISH time. Stay tuned and keep commenting, please.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nigella.jpg

0786868694.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Nigella Lawson, domestic goddess and a BIG chef in GB. Think of her as a Bellucci that can cook. ;)

Tonights dish will be an interpretation of a classic Club Sandwich, but made from Pita bread.

crown_plaza_club_sandwich.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook. Club Sandwiches that is.
Considering the origins of the sandwich (a bland slice of roastbeef between two slices of bread as a snack while playing cards), the club sandwich can be described the top of the evolution in sliced bread cuisine :D )

What makes the Club sandwich preparation different from a normal sandwich is the fact that the filled sandwich is fried before serving, giving it a crisp touch that cannot be reproduced by just toasting it. I went for a variant that uses pita bread instead of sandwich slices, making an extra-crunchy and crispy outside.

The ingredients are variable, but a mix of salad, meat, spread, cheese and eggs is considered fair game.
Thinkable ingredients are:
smallCIMG3162.jpg

-cooked ham,
-roastbeef,
-crispy bacon strips,
-hard boiled egggs,
-cheese,
-mustard,
-mayonnaise or remoulade,
-salads.

For tonight, i boiled a few eggs for about 7 minutes. Use an egg pincher to prevent them from cracking while boiling:
smallCIMG3165.jpg

smallCIMG3166.jpg

smallCIMG3176.jpg

then cut a pita bread to quarters and cut a pocket in it. Make sure to not cut the back end:
smallCIMG3168.jpg

smallCIMG3169.jpg

Now fill away as desired. I had the first one with egg, soft cheese, salad, mayo, roast beef and some hot mustard:
smallCIMG3177.jpg

smallCIMG3180.jpg

smallCIMG3182.jpg

smallCIMG3183.jpg

A second one was all eggs, ham, cheese and roastbeef:
smallCIMG3192.jpg

Finish Line:
Now for the frying. Heat apan with some oil to medium heat, then fry the sandwich for two to three minutes from each side while applying some pressure to it:
smallCIMG3184.jpg

smallCIMG3185.jpg

smallCIMG3186.jpg

DONE!
when the bread is golden brown and crunchy, have a feast:
smallCIMG3187.jpg

smallCIMG3188.jpg

smallCIMG3194.jpg

Enjoy.

Feedback, contributions and comments are a good thing to to.

ChryZ

Daeji Bulgogi

"Thinly sliced meat marinated in soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, sugar, green onions and black pepper, cooked on a grill at the table. Bulgogi literally means "fire meat". Variations include beef (bulgogi), pork (dweji bulgogi), chicken (dak bulgogi) or squid (ojingeo bulgogi)." Wiki(1)(2)

Warning: I've already shared the recipe for the marinade offline and quite a few people are already addicted to it. You've been warned ;)

main ingredients

1 X pork tenderloin
1 X head ice lettuce
2 X garlic clove
4 X scallion (4 stalk)
1 CUP cooked rice
1/4 CUP roasted sesame
1/4 CUP veg or peanut oil
1/2 CUP sugar
3/4 CUP soy sauce
1 TSP pepper
1 TSP salt
1 TSP sesame seed oil (pressed from roasted seeds)

banchan #1 ingredients (mini side-dish, steamed bean sprouts)

1 X scallion (1 stalk, sliced lengthwise)
2 CUP bean sprouts
1 TBSP rice wine vinegar
1 TSP salt
1 TSP pepper
1 TSP sesame seed oil (pressed from roasted seeds)

banchan #2 ingredients (mini side-dish, fried garlic)

4 X garlic clove (roughly sliced)
1 TBSP peanut oil

ssamjang ingredients (sauce, dip, dressing)

2 TBSP gochujang
2 TBSP water
1 TBSP minced scallion
1 TBSP rice wine
1 TBSP sesame oil (pressed from roasted seeds)
1 TSP doenjang
1 TSP chili flakes
1 TSP garlic powder
2 TSP roasted sesame

Daeji_Bulgogi_01.jpg

cut the meat in thin slices, combine all other main ingredients (except the lettuce)

Daeji_Bulgogi_02.jpg

blend until smooth, it's not necessary to get every sesame seed though ;)

Daeji_Bulgogi_03.jpg

marinate the pork slices, 30-60 minutes at room temperature should do the job, prep the rice

Daeji_Bulgogi_04.jpg

combine all ssamjang ingredients

Daeji_Bulgogi_05.jpg

mix well and set aside

Daeji_Bulgogi_06.jpg

combine all veggie ingredients from banchan #1 in a bowl,
cover the bowl and microwave it for 90 sec with 600W

Daeji_Bulgogi_07.jpg

the veggies will steam from their own water content and soften up,
dress them with the remaining banchan #1 ingredients, set aside

Daeji_Bulgogi_08.jpg

remove the meat from the marinade, wipe off each piece on the edge of the bowl,
try to remove a good lot of the marinade, too much left of it will cause a mess

Daeji_Bulgogi_09.jpg

heat/fire-up a bbq pan, gass grill or charcoal grill, make a little tin-foil cup
and add oil and garlic to it, it's like a mini deep fryer, keep an eye on it and
remove it from the pan once the garlic turned gold brown

Daeji_Bulgogi_10.jpg

the sugar from the marinate will burn quickly to bitter coal (Carbonization)
if the heat is too high or the cooking process is too long, timing and heat control for the win,
medium heat is hot enough to cook such tender/delicate meat, slow caramelization is the key

Daeji_Bulgogi_11.jpg

keep flipping the meat, such thin slices only take a minute or two

Daeji_Bulgogi_12.jpg

don't burn the garlic, flip it every now and then to check the browning process,
remove when gold brown, drain fat with some paper towel

Daeji_Bulgogi_13.jpg

the whole set, time to eat:

all the food can be enjoyed individually, but the most delicous way is to grab a lettuce leaf,
stuff it with rice, sprouts, ssamjang, roasted garlic and some bulgogi, then to wrap it up and munch it away in one go ... with a big grin on your face :D

Daeji_Bulgogi_How-To-Eat.jpg

잘먹겠습니다 (jal meokkesseumnida)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Looking good, ChryZ! We got a Korean restaurant around the corner that serves Bulgogi, too; they fry it right at your table, resulting in smelly wardrobe as a benefit :lol . But the taste of roast pork combined with lettuce leaves is hard to top.

Burger time here tonight. What will it be for you, fellow GAFfers?

ChryZ

OnkelC said:
Looking good, ChryZ! We got a Korean restaurant around the corner that serves Bulgogi, too; they fry it right at your table, resulting in smelly wardrobe as a benefit :lol . But the taste of roast pork combined with lettuce leaves is hard to top.
indeed, indeed :lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
elostyle said:
My potatoes are getting old, I need to use them up. Suggest something in 3...2...1... GO!

Make mashed potatoes from them and serve it alongside a nice fried sausage.

Edit:
Or try a potato soup instead. Cut and roast a few bacon strips, then roast some sliced carrots and leek, add a few cups of broth and the cubed potatoes, let it cook for half an hour and blend it. Serve with some chopped parsley for added freshness.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
OnkelC said:
Make mashed potatoes from them and serve it alongside a nice fried sausage.

Edit:
Or try a potato soup instead. Cut and roast a few bacon strips, then roast some sliced carrots and leek, add a few cups of broth and the cubed potatoes, let it cook for half an hour and blend it. Serve with some chopped parsley for added freshness.
Potato soup it is. Thanks.

bovo

It's been a while since I posted anything here, so although this isn't especially home made, I decided to show it anyway, although there are only two pictures.

Pizza bases are from a packet, and the tomato sauce is from a jar, but added to that are red onions, mozzarella, fresh basil, and in the case of one of the pizzas, some sliced cooked sausage (I used Polish Kabanos)

p1ho6.jpg

Cook in the oven and serve.

p2yu3.jpg

I know I should use homemade pizza bases, but at least (some of) the toppings are fresh!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thank you for the update, bovo, and welcome back!
There is nothing to be ashamed of when using prefab pizza bottoms. They taste better than the instant mixes, and making dough from scratch on weekdays would be above my tolerance border, too. I make homemade dough mostly because I like to see the yeast do its work:D

What else was eaten today/tonight? keep it coming!:lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Tonights dish will be a casserole with pasta, minced meat, tomato juice and mushrooms, gratined with cheese.

Stay tuned. and post your kitchen-related questions, folks.:)

ChryZ

I had a craving for Italian food ... so I made Pasta Puttanesca:

Pasta_Puttanesca.jpg

Recipe and pictorial can be found (somewhere) in Vol1 ;)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
I made a fast casserole today, which goes by the household name "Hackpilz" (MincemeatShrooms). Preparation is simple and fast; total prep time was about 30 minutes, so it can be prepared even on a tight schedule. This is achieved by using tomato juice instead of peeled tomatoes, which decreases the cooking time significantly.

The ingredients (for two persons) are:
smallCIMG3202.jpg

- pasta of choice, preferably short ones, about 1lb,
- 1/2lb mixed minced meat,
- 15 flOz tomato juice,
- one small can of mushrooms,
- one onion,
- a decent amount of grated and/or sliced cheese,
- a stock cube, salt and pepper (not pictured).

First, set up the water for the pasta and prepeheat the oven to max heat. While the water is heating, cube the onion, heat some oil in a medium sized pot and fry the minced meat for one to two minutes until it gets some color:
smallCIMG3203.jpg

smallCIMG3204.jpg

smallCIMG3205.jpg

Now add the onion cubes and stir fry them for about two minutes. open the can and drain the mushrooms. Add them to the meat:
smallCIMG3207.jpg

smallCIMG3208.jpg

smallCIMG3211.jpg

Now add the tomato juice, the stock cube and mix the sauce. Reduce the heat to 1/3 of max heat and let it boil until further use:

smallCIMG3212.jpg

smallCIMG3213.jpg

The water for the noodles should be boiling now, too. Prepare the pasta acording to the package instructions. When they are "al dente", drain them:
smallCIMG3214.jpg

smallCIMG3215.jpg

Finish Line:
Mix the sauce and pasta, then put about half of the mix into a baking pan:
smallCIMG3216.jpg

smallCIMG3217.jpg

smallCIMG3218.jpg

Now add about half of the cheese on top of that, then add the rest of the pasta mix. finish it off with the remaining cheese:
smallCIMG3219.jpg

smallCIMG3220.jpg

smallCIMG3221.jpg

Put it in the oven until the cheese is looking golden brown and starts to bubble a bit:
smallCIMG3222.jpg

DONE!
Serve directly from the pan and have a feast:
smallCIMG3224.jpg

This is the last dish until sunday from me, as I got some job schedules to attend until saturday evening.

Keep your stuff coming.

Chryz I loove love love Korean BBQ, I have it at least once a month at a restaurant. We have a Korea Town in the city I live in so we have lots of options. Yummie

I wish I could be posting more, but ive been busy at work and either eating the catered in food or take out. This morning I was off work and made zee Onkels pancakes. Tasty! My digicam wasn't charged so no pics...sorry. but they were more like crepes to me, american pancakes are much fluffier and less eggy tasting. Always with some sort of chemical levening like baking soda or powder in the batter.

I was able to follow your recipe since I dug up some metric measuing tools! How bout that! I didn't have club soda so I put a tiny pinch of baking powder in. I ate mine with butter and REAL maple syrup like a good American :lol I also made one with some Laughing Cow wedges inside. Kinda like the Baby Bel, but softer. They're spreadable like Phillidelphia cream cheese. Very tasty in all forms. I really wished I had some ricotta or farmers cheese on hand, then I would have made blintzes! Or fruit jam, that would have been delisious.

ChryZ

So I've cooked Moussaka:

main ingredients

500 GR ground lamb (~1 LBS)
1 CUP veg stock (homemade or instant)
10 X potatoes (cooked, sliced)
4 X garlic cloves
2 X eggplant
1 X salt (to taste)
1 X black pepper (to taste)
1 X mozzarella (optional)
1 X bunch of parsley (chopped)
1 TBSP cinnamon
1 TBSP all spice
1 TBSP ginger
3 TBSP tomato paste
4 TBSP breadcrumbs
2-4 TSP honey (or more to taste)
2-4 TSP nutmeg (or more to taste)

béchamel sauce ingredients

150 GR butter (~5.3 OZ)
1 L milk (~4 CUPS)
4 TBSP flour
1 TSP nutmeg (or more to taste)
1 TSP salt (or more to taste)
1 TSP black pepper (or more to taste)

first the béchamel, melt butter in a pot, lower the heat, slowly add flour while whisking,
stir continuously to combine, then slowly add milk while whisking, simmer until sauce-like,
season with salt, black pepper and nutmeg

Moussaka_01.jpg

pick a casserole, slice the eggplant, try to have one full casserole-sized layer,
salt the slices generously (this will suck some of the bitterness out of them),
set a side, 30-120 min should do the job

Moussaka_02.jpg

heat a pan, add oil, mince onions, saute them until gold brown, add lamb

Moussaka_03.jpg

stir fry until the pinkness of the lamb is gone, mince garlic and add to pan

Moussaka_04.jpg

simmer slowly until the lamb is gently browned, deglaze the pan with the stock,
then add tomato paste, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg ... season to taste with salt,
pepper and honey, simmer until the stock is almost completely vaporised

Moussaka_05.jpg

wash off the salt from the eggplant slices, place them on a tinfoiled baking tray,
season with salt, pepper and olive oil, slide the tray under the broiler (oven grill),
flip when nicely browned, remove from broiler when both sides are done

Moussaka_06.jpg

butter the casserole, add a layer of sliced potatoes and some chopped parsley

Moussaka_07.jpg

add a thin layer of béchamel, then all of the lamb sauce

Moussaka_08.jpg

place the eggplant slices on top of the meat sauce layer

Moussaka_09.jpg

add another layer of chopped parsley, spread out the rest of the béchamel sauce,
top with sliced mozzarella and breadcrumbs

Moussaka_10.jpg

bake the casserole until all the mozzarella melted, if possible switch from baking
to broiling/grilling to brown the mozzarella a little

Moussaka_11.jpg

remove from oven when nicely browned and the whole casserole is bubbling

Moussaka_12.jpg

slice the moussaka according to the number of guests or servings,
garnish with some of the remaining parsley, serve piping hot

enjoy

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thank you all for keeping the thread alive and kicking!

I am totally done for tonight, some new stuff from me coming up tomorrow.

keep it coming.:lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
elostyle, that Schnitzel looks totally fine for me from that picture. What went wrong with it?

And again a fine Moussaka from ChryZ. thank you.

Some impressions from the hotel I stayed at for the last days:

Schnitzel with hashed browns and a cream sauce:
smallCIMG3227.jpg

Pork roast:
smallCIMG3228.jpg

And as a greeting from the kitchen, the chef made some Weißwurst for second breakfast:

smallCIMG3240.jpg

Tonights dish will be a "Rindsgulasch" (beef stew). Stay tuned and post yours.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
OnkelC said:
elostyle, that Schnitzel looks totally fine for me from that picture. What went wrong with it?
1) I didn't pound it flat enough.
2) Pannade fell apart.
3) I put it in oil instead of butter.
4) The pan wasn't hot enough (I think).
5) I let it remain in for too long.

I think I also used the wrong kind of potato.

So in short - everything. :lol

Learning from it though!

Thriller

Hey OnkelC ive got a question : at the end of this month ill be having my ski teacher traineeship in austria for 20 weeks.
Im a poor student and i wondered if it was possible for you to create some simple one pan one man dishes?
Please help me :D
Greets from holland

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thriller said:
Hey OnkelC ive got a question : at the end of this month ill be having my ski teacher traineeship in austria for 20 weeks.
Im a poor student and i wondered if it was possible for you to create some simple one pan one man dishes?
Please help me :D
Greets from holland
Hi Thriller and welcome to the thread.

A good base for one pan dishes are pasta of choice, potatoes and rice. You can use the good Austrian smoked ham, some eggs and some grated cheese to make a good and filling dish from these for less than 2 Euros per person. Rough amounts per person would be: 250 grams of raw noodles, 200 grams of rice or 350-400 grams of potatoes. The pancakes I posted earlier on are a good and fast to make, too.

What are your preferred ingredients? If you could post them, It would make it easier to give some more in-depth advice.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
elostyle said:
1) I didn't pound it flat enough.
2) Pannade fell apart.
3) I put it in oil instead of butter.
4) The pan wasn't hot enough (I think).
5) I let it remain in for too long.

I think I also used the wrong kind of potato.

So in short - everything. :lol

Learning from it though!

:lol
"Was uns nicht umbringt, macht uns stärker." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom